Friday, January 15, 2010

'Looking' Back at Lasik

So it's been one year since my twin Val and I had Lasik done - where has the time gone? Both of us had been contact lens and glasses wearers for a long, long time and after getting into running and being more active, we decided the spectacles had to go!

We choose Dr. Pirnazar at the TLC Lasik Center in Ontario, California. The staff and everyone there was wonderful! Both of our mama's came with us (designated drivers). So when you decide to have Lasik, it goes a little bit like this...
  • Choose a doctor, go for consult and set up a payment arrangement.
  • For a couple of weeks before, it's all drops, drops and more eye drops; as well as eye exams, no contacts or make-up the week prior. So for those of you Kardashian fans who watched Kim get it done with a face full of make-up and her sisters in the OR, all we can say is yeah right!
  • The day of you get one last regular eye exam for measurements and such and then head to the "lounge". From what I can remember about this wonderful, dim little room was that they gave you your post surgery kit, a sexy little hair net, and some little happy pills....from there it was all a breeze.
  • Your eyes are numbed with lots of drops and you head off to the first station. For those of you that get squeamish, scroll past this part. A tiny suction cup is placed on your eye and it allows laser numero uno to cut a "C" shaped incision around your pupil. You don't feel a thing - the world just gets foggy, like when your shower steams up the mirrors.
  • Then you head over for the light show. Your eyes are propped open, more drops are added and the doctor peals back the flap from the first station. The doctor positions the custom lasik laser over one eye and you see this little red and green light show for, I don't know, maybe 45 seconds. Then he smooths the flap down with what can only be described as a squeegee, they add more numbing drops and you're done!
Oh, and then they have you take a picture - so you can see from what I look like it's nothing major. Then they rush you out to the car with some sexy goggles and instruct you to sleep until the following day. I do have to say my drops ran out half way home because I insisted on stopping for Pinkberry, and yes, it hurt like heck....but that's behind me and what's ahead looks beautiful!

It was really cool getting to watch Val's surgery on these flat screen monitors in the happy lounge. When the flap comes back you truly get to see the intensely beautiful "true" eye color - Val's is the darkest brown, almost like midnight, and my mom said mine where super gold and green. In fact the doctors told me I don't actually have brown eyes, more like a dark hazel - who knew?

So for those of you considering it - do it. I'll come hold your hand. If I had to do it again I wouldn't even think twice. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made - and thankfully I got to do it alongside one of the best friends I have ever had.
 

No comments: